On Leos Carax and Sparks' Annette (2021)

Many of you will have heard me sing the praises of Annette (2021) through my social media accounts. And I know we're not talking about books here, but as an author many of my influences are outside literature and in the wider world of the Arts. I'm influenced by Stephen King, but also by David Lynch, Stanley Kubrick, Chris Morris, Keith Haring, Debbie Harry, Dario Argento, David Cronenberg, Wes Craven, Madonna and many more. When I write, I see pictures; I see images, I see visuals, I see landscapes like Kubrick. My stories play out like I'd watch them on screen. I now add Annette to one of the most beautiful and inspiring pieces of art I have seen for some time. It's outstanding, with the best performance Adam Driver has put in to date. I could watch it every week. I think I have watched it every week so far since it came onto MUBI.
Why do I love it so much? It's bold, creative and fresh. You'll not have seen anything like this. If you mix Leos Carax, a visionary who takes risks, with the wit and quirkiness of Sparks, then you've got something very special indeed. Add into this a musical - a rock, revenge opera essentially - and two strong leads, plus one amazing little girl, out of this world, stunning cinematography, and a haunting, disturbing plot, it's wow, Bob, wow.
And, oh boy, Adam Driver. As Henry McHenry, he got firmly under my bloody skin. He's an abhorrent character but one you can't take your eyes off. He prowls the stage as The Ape of God, menancing, threatening, and you fear for Ann (Marion Cotillard) and little baby Annette. How Driver has not been nominated for more awards this year is beyond me, as it's an Academy-worthy performance in my eyes. Yes, he's that good.
Baby Annette. Sweet baby Annette. You'll be swept away by her and her toy monkey, which she gives mouth-to-mouth to after the ship incident and she flies through the sky with in musical sequences. When she is forced on stage for the first time, I found this so emotional and there's a perfect, horrific moment where Henry rips her monkey away from her. And the Hyper Bowl and her drones is extraordinary. What she delivers to Henry in denouncement is *Chef's Kiss*.
Yes, she's a puppet, but we know why. Henry doesn't see her as a real little girl, she's something to be exploited and monetised. The ending, whilst heartbreaking, brings closure for Annette. Also keep an eye on that girl at the start of the film. I have my theory about her.
As I've been writing over Christmas and into this year, I've been thinking a lot about Annette and I am incredibly inspired by what Carax and Sparks' have delivered. Thank you to them. This film is truly a gift. Hold onto your influences tight, embrace them, and let them help and guide you to create your own art.

Comments